We’re looking for a retail assistant to join our team here at Mostyn.
Do you have strong communication skills, attention to detail and excellent customer service skills? A passion for contemporary art, craft and design and a love of retail? If so we’d love to hear from you!
Reporting to: Retail Manager
Responsible for: Retail Experience
Minimum contract: Permanent – 13 hours per week [2 days – Tuesday and Saturday]
Hourly rate: £7.49 – £10.42 per hour
These rates meet the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage.
Whether visitors are shopping in store or browsing online, our siop offers a collection of hand-crafted and design led items. From creative books and gifts, to accessories, homewares and prints produced by our community of creators.
The siop also forms the reception area, with staff occupying a dual retail/reception role, which is especially important as it forms visitors first contact with Mostyn staff upon entering the building.
Successful applicants will play a key role in ensuring Mostyn’s visitors enjoy their visit, and will demonstrate a flexible approach to the different responsibilities of the role. They will also provide a high standard of customer service, optimizing the potential of income generation and promotion of what Mostyn has to offer through interaction with visitors.
- Welcoming customers and providing excellent customer service.
- Keeping yourself updated with the stock and making recommendations to customers.
- Dealing with customer enquiries, custom orders and returns.
- Answer enquiries efficiently, referring these to the appropriate manager where necessary.
- To work flexibly to the needs of the rota and staffing requirements, across both the galleries and the shop.
- Opening and closing the shop.
- Locking up the building when required.
- Processing sales and online orders, handling cash and using the till system [POS].
- Rotate and replenish stock and displays.
- Maintain the standard of visual merchandising.
- Assist in receiving, processing and returning stock.
- Ensure all records and correspondence are kept up to date.
- Undertake cleaning duties and empty bins and recycling.
- Undertake any other duties assigned to you by management.
- Take responsibility for safety and security whilst on duty.
- When required, to assist in the Gallery and other areas of the organization * (Front of house member’s main duties listed below)
*Front of house member – main duties:
- Greet and engage with visitors, providing a high standard of customer service. To provide information about current and future exhibitions, promoting activities, events, services and the retail offer.
- To work flexibly to the needs of the rota and staffing requirements, across both the galleries and the shop
- Undertake daily cleaning duties as per rota and management requirements. Ensure facilities are presented at their best and kept clean.
- Daily emptying of all bins across Mostyn, as directed by the relevant managers and rota.
- Locking up the building when required
- Answer enquiries effectively, referring these to the appropriate manager where necessary.
- Ensure the safety and security of works on display, highlighting problems/issues to the appropriate managers.
- Conduct and promote group tours & short talks for groups and general audience members.
- Ensure printed material is kept up-to-date and of sufficient quantity across the building.
- Undertake administration tasks, as required.
- Assist with Learning and engagement when required.
In common with all post holders, Retail Assistant is expected:
- To ensure adherence to all Mostyn systems, policies and procedures
- To ensure the security of the gallery and other spaces on Mostyn
- To act as an advocate of Mostyn and promote its vision and activities
- To actively contribute to and support all fundraising for the organization and be aware of Mostyn’s case for need
- To collaborate with all other departments
- To ensure Mostyn systems, policies and processes are adhered to in the execution of the duties.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties. It may be necessary to undertake other reasonable duties for the successful execution of this role and to meet the aims of the organization.
Outline person specification:
An understanding of contemporary visual arts, craft & design, and evidence of ongoing continuous professional development in this sector. Passion for bringing contemporary issues through the arts, crafts & design to life and engaging as wide an audience as possible to the benefits, challenges and opportunities of contemporary art.
Skills and experience:
- Previous retail experience is essential for this role
- Attention to detail and excellent customer service that will have visitors coming back time and time again.
- Strong communication skills. Confident, articulate and friendly, to inspire visitors and help with their understanding of works on display and Mostyn’s vision and aims.
- Excellent time management.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good problem solving skills and a flexible way of working.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel confidently.
- Evidence of working with a diverse range of audiences and the motivation to strive to make a good impression.
- Welsh language ability for this post is not essential but would be seen as an asset.
Hours of work:
Tuesday 10.00am – 5.00pm [includes a 30min unpaid lunch break]
Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm [includes a 30min unpaid lunch break]
Successful applicants will also be expected to be flexible to cover other staff’s Annual Leave, and there may be an occasional requirement to work unsocial hours in the execution of this role.
Mostyn encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and we are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. We particularly encourage applications from disabled people and people from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, as these groups are currently under- represented in the cultural sector. We are committed to equality and diversity within our workforce and all opportunities provided by Mostyn. We ask everyone who works with us to champion this ambition and embed it in their day to day work and monitor it in our annual Equality Action Plan. Whilst some of our offices have barriers to access, we continue to encourage interest from applicants who require reasonable adjustments within the workplace.
How to apply :
- Read the Job Description and person specification.
- Submit a CV and Covering Letter. Ensure you tell us how you meet the knowledge, skills and experience in the person specification.
- Supply the names, email address, full postal address and telephone numbers of two people who can give you a reference. At least one of these should be your current or most recent employer.
- If you would like any further information, have any specific requirements or would like to discuss any aspect of the role in confidence, please contact Mostyn on 01492 879201 and they will direct your call to Barry Morris, Retail Manager. Alternatively, email: [email protected]
- Email your application to Barry Morris, Retail Manager: [email protected]
- Any application received after the deadline will not be included in the recruitment process.
- If this process is not an appropriate method for you because of an impairment or disability, please contact us to make alternative arrangements.
We will acknowledge receipt of all applications.
Closing date for applications: 5.30pm Friday May 12th 2023
Interviews: Wednesday May 17th 2023